Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Academic Blogging

Hello, I am Grant Tabler.

I am a student at the University of Guelph-Humber. This is technically an academic blog and will be graded as such. That doesn't mean that it is only for my professor and colleagues. There is a chance, albeit an unlikely one, that someone outside this rather exclusive sphere of intellectual endeavours will stumble onto this blog and be profoundly enlightened. I will attempt to write to this unlikely, possibly imaginary, viewer.

This blog will be based on assigned topics I have been given, but will be elaborated on through the books I'm reading in class. I will take a moment to familiarize you with some of the figures I may be making reference to.

Marshal Mcluhan: A Canadian professor of English literature. He is incredibly important to media studies because of his work on the theories that govern our understanding of media and its effect on us.

Neil Postman: An American author. He made a book called "Amusing ourselves to Death" and like Mcluhan had many theories relating to media's effect on our culture.

John Berger: A British author and art critic. In his book "Ways of Seeing" which is a series of essays, he examines societal perceptions. As well as the effect art has on our view of the world.

Throughout the course of this blog I will endeavour to pass on any knowledge I can, to whatever community I am able to broadcast to. My role is to broaden the scope of the education being given to me, so that it is able to enlighten more than just my classroom. So that my knowledge, and by extension all the knowledge I have access to, will be at the disposal of anyone who has a medium to access it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment